Perryville Place

Named for the Gorden Perry family. In 1961 these 50 acres of property were bought by Gorden Perry from Mr. Pocott. A house was built and he named the farm Perryville. Gorden Perry built 5 buildings with 2 units in each as rental units. Over the next few years the Perry’s developed the property to include a hay field, apple orchard, along with sheep and horses. In 1967 Mr. Perry built a 16 suite apartment complex on the property. In 1970 the property was sold to a developer and one of the streets within the development became Perryville Place.

Desmond Street

John Desmond was a farmer in the North Kamloops Brocklehurst area.

George Hilliard, H. Ord and John Desmond along with a few other small farmers were the only settlers in the Brocklehurst area before World War II. Humphrey Desmond, born in Kamloops in 1925, was an alderman of Brocklehurst from 1971 to 1973. His occupation was ‘farmer.’

The Desmond family still own property in the Brocklehurst area near Desmond Street that is named after their family.

Tranquille Road

Named after Chief Pacamoos, who was nicknamed Tranquille. He was known as a man of peace and his silent demeanor. Chief Tranquille had an argument with Samuel Black, the Hudson Bay Company’s Chief Trader. Prior to this, they had been good friends. Chief Tranquille died in his camp in Pavilion shortly after this argument.The Chief’s widow attributed his death to Black’s influence and aroused her nephew Kiskowskin to retaliate. Kiskowskin visited the Hudson Bay Company Post on February 8, 1841 and shot Black, killing him instantly.Chief Tranquille’s domain was focused on an inlet of Kamloops Lake, densely populated with Indian winter homes.Currently called  ORD road, this throughway was the original Tranquille Rd, and Tranquille Rd used to be called Brocklehurst Rd. After the English gentlemen Mr. Brocklehurst. When the first Airport was built The B.C. Minster of Highways wanted to improve the road to the Airport. They renamed it to Tranquille Highway and Ord Rd was named in its place. The tuberculosis sanitarium was built and the road leading to it are named in his Chief Pacamoos’ honour.

Singh Street

Singh Street is named after the Singh family who came to Kamloops in the early 1920’s. Sher Singh was born in 1883 and moved to Kamloops in 1922. He leased 20 acres of land near York Street originally but in 1923 he purchased 10 acres on Tranquille Road which he called Asparagus Place.

Sher cut wood in the winter for the Royal Inland Hospital and grew vegetables in the summer. In 1940 he started the Fish Lake Lumber Company business which lasted until 1943. He then developed the Punjab Lumber Company at McConnell Lake. In 1944 he started a planer mill at Halston. From 1944 to 1948 he resided with his family at Singh Street where he bought approximately 50 acres of land for his vegetable farm. Sher was the founder of the Sikh Church in Brocklehurst. He died in 1972. Thakkar Singh was a tomato farmer in the Brocklehurst area where Singh Street is located.


Schubert Drive

Named after Augustus and Catherine Schubert.

In 1862, the discovery of Gold in British Columbia BC instigated a mass migration of redesints, speculators and business people from eastern Canada and the US. A group formed at Fort Carry and the Overlanders (as they were known) set out in June 1862 in three brigades. It was comprised of 220 men, 1 pregnant woman and her small children. This group headed west in search of gold. The woman, Catherine Schubert, a dominant character who accompanied her husband Augustus.

At Tete Jeune Cache, the party divided with the majority descending the Fraser River by raft and canoe. Thirty-six people, including the Schuberts planned to go down the North Thompson with 130 head of horses and cattle. Catherine Schubert’s baby was born in the village at Kamloops soon after their raft arrived. The child. Rose, was the first white infant born in Kamloops.

Windbreak Street

Named because it was the site of a long row of Lombardy trees used as a windbreak for the strong winds that came down of Kamloops Lake. The windbreak protected the orchards of Brocklehurst and North Kamloops.

Fortune Drive

Named for William Fortune who was a Yorkshire man whom joined the Overlanders in 1862.

He worked for the Hudson Bay Company upon his arrival in Kamloops and ran a mule team between Yale and the Cariboo.

Even some of the houses along Kamloops roads were named for their historical significance, such as:

  • The Fort House at 300 Fortune Drive was built on part of the Hudson’s Bay Company lands that surrounded the fur-trading fort located there from 1843 to 1862. A. W. Haines operated a dairy farm here about 1912 and had a good herd of Holsteins. Arthur Hatton owned it in 1946. An elementary school nearby now bears his name. The Fort House has since been converted into small apartments which are now rented out
  • The Wilson House, was the residence of The Wilson House, constructed circa 1909-1910, is valued for its connection with William Stewart Wilson (1903-1994), a local farmer, businessman and politician who was an esteemed member of the Kamloops community. In 1929, Wilson and his wife Winnifred moved to Kamloops to farm just east of the Experimental Farm. In 1934 he opened Wilson Motors, one of the first commercial businesses in North Kamloops. Wilson later became an important political figure in the community and the province, serving as President of the British Columbia Auto Dealers Association and Vice President of the Canadian Auto Dealers Association. In 1946 he was elected First Commissioner for the Village of North Kamloops, a position equivalent to that of Mayor, and in 1947 he was elected Chairman of North Kamloops. William and Winnifred Wilson occupied the house until 1950, after which it was briefly used as a church manse before members of the Wilson family took up residence again.The Wilson House is further valued for its association with its first owner, Frank Edward Baines (1888-1958), who was a local farmer and uncle of William Stewart Wilson. Frank and Mary Baines occupied the house between 1909 and 1920.

    The house is also valued for its traditional farmhouse form, influenced by the Gothic Revival style, with symmetrical massing, a central entry, a central gable wall dormer and Carpenter ornamentation.

    Furthermore, the Wilson House is symbolic of the development of North Kamloops from a patchwork of farms into a community. Before 1909, the North Shore was primarily a rural farming area of orchards and fields. In 1909, a British-based company named B.C. Fruitlands was incorporated and obtained over 9,000 acres on the North Shore. By 1920, the company owned over 22,000 acres and had installed an extensive irrigation system that supplied water to all of North Kamloops. After the irrigation system was installed, the company promoted programs to attract settlers to the area. The Village of North Kamloops was incorporated in 1946. At this time Wilson Street, which was named in honour of the family, was surveyed and subdivided, leaving the Wilson House situated in the middle of the street. The house was moved back and turned around to face the new street. In October of 2003, the Wilson House was moved again, to 115 Tranquille Road, and is now the home of the Kamloops North Shore Business Improvement Association

    taken from the website