Our Stories

 

We often talk about the depth and passion for our Mutli-cultural DNA on the Shore. Nowhere else in Kamloops was there a higher proportion of international immigrants who came to plant and grow their future in the fertile soils of the North Bank of the Thomson River. We feel tremendous pride of the accomplishments of our forefathers, many of whom still remain on the Shore. In this section we tell the stories of some of our early pioneers, how they helped to build our community, and how we benefit from their hard work, sacrifices and contributions.

Most of this information was pulled together by the kind work of the Kamloops Family History Society, The Kamloops Museum and Archives, Find-a-Grave and other online resources, and our community residents who have shared their recollections and knowledge of the Shore, from Overlander’s Bridge to Tranquille Farm and all the way up Westside. We hope you enjoy learning about our neighbourhoods.

Pioneers and Street Names

Lolo Street

Lolo Street was named for Jean Baptiste Lolo. He was of Iroquois and French heritage. He came west with the HBC fur traders. Jean was a linguist and served as an interpreter. The HBC first Trading Post was on the reserve and relocated to North Kamloops. When the...

read more

Gellrich Avenue

Gellrich Avenue was named for Alfred Richard Gellrich who was born in 1896 in Germany.  He immigrated from Hamburg with his wife, Marta and son Ginter to Winnipeg and gave his occupation as “landarbeiter” (Farm hand or agricultural worker).  Gellrich was subdivided...

read more

Centennial Drive

Centennial Drive was was named for The Canadian Centennial was a yearlong celebration held in 1967, when Canada celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation. Celebrations occurred throughout the year but culminated on Dominion Day, July 1, 1967.  One...

read more

Brunner Street

Brunner Place was named for Joe Brunner who came to Canada in 1928 from Austria.  He came to Brocklehurst in 1943 and was well known for his outspokenness and involvement in the community.  He was a lifetime member of the Community Hall Association, twice ran for...

read more

Bray Place

Bray place is named for Fred Bray born Jan 30, 1903 in Devon, England.  He had worked for Mr. Jackson in the Long Lake area of Knutsford when he married Kathleen “Kate” Isobel Lyne, who was born Nov 26, 1911 in Lincolnshire, England. following the marriage they moved...

read more

Bossert Street

Emanuel David Bossert was born in Bessarabia, Romania in 1918 and came to Canada with his parents and siblings in 1928/29. They lived for a time in parts of Alberta.  On arriving in the Kamloops region, he settled in the Brocklehurst area.  Emanuel was a WWII veteran,...

read more

Bentley Place

Bentley Place named for Dalton Wilfred Bentley who came to Kamloops in 1953 and was involved in ranching and land development. He established The Bentley Place Development in Brocklehurst in 1959. Dalton was born 20 March 1903 in Moorhead, Clay County, Minnesota and...

read more

Alhambra Drive

Alhambra Drive is located on the farm originally owned by the Follweiter family. The family also owned farm property between Schriener Street and McLean Street. Johann (John) Follweiter was born on July 31, 1924 in Sajk So Evan, Yugoslavia....

read more

Perryville Place

Perryville place was name for the Gorden Perry family. In 1961 these 50 acres of property were bought by Gorden Perry from Mr. Pocott. A house was built and he named the farm Perryville. Gorden Perry built 5 buildings with 2 units in each as rental units. Over the...

read more

John “Moose” Fulton

"History of Fulton field and John “Moose” Fulton Kamloops Airport is also known as Fulton Field and is named for John Fulton, son of well-known turn of the last century lawyer, Frederick John Fulton and brother of Alexander, Frederick J, and E. D. “Davie” Fulton. ...

read more

Tranquille Road

Tranquille Road is named after Chief Pacamoos, who was nicknamed Tranquille. He was known as a man of peace and his silent demeanor. Chief Tranquille had an argument with Samuel Black, the Hudson Bay Company's Chief Trader. Prior to this, they had been good friends....

read more

Desmond Street

John Desmond was a farmer in the North Kamloops Brocklehurst area. George Hilliard, H. Ord and John Desmond along with a few other small farmers were the only settlers in the Brocklehurst area before World War II. Humphrey Desmond, born in Kamloops in 1925, was an...

read more

Singh Street

Singh Street is named after the Singh family who came to Kamloops in the early 1920's. Sher Singh was born in 1883 and moved to Kamloops in 1922. He leased 20 acres of land near York Street originally but in 1923 he purchased 10 acres on Tranquille Road which he...

read more

Windbreak Street

Windbreak Street was named because it was the site of a long row of Lombardy trees used as a windbreak for the strong winds that came down of Kamloops Lake. The windbreak protected the orchards of Brocklehurst and North Kamloops.

read more

Fortune Drive

Fortune Drive was named for William Fortune who was a Yorkshire man whom joined the Overlanders in 1862. He worked for the Hudson Bay Company upon his arrival in Kamloops and ran a mule team between Yale and the Cariboo. Even some of the houses along Kamloops roads...

read more

Schubert Drive

Schubert Drive is named after Augustus and Catherine Schubert. In 1862, the discovery of Gold in British Columbia BC instigated a mass migration of redesints, speculators and business people from eastern Canada and the US. A group formed at Fort Carry and the...

read more

Thrupp Street

Thrupp Street, and Thrupp manor are both named for the Thrupp family. Mr. Charles Edgar Thrupp was born on 06 June 1863, at Adelaide, Australia. He went on to become a civil engineer and was married to Mrs. Katherine Thrupp of London, England. The couple immigrated to...

read more

Ord Road

Ord Road is named after H. Ord, one of the earliest settlers in Brocklehurst, before World War II. He ran a hop farm along Tranquille road starting in 1936. Hop fields were also planted east of Kamloops near Campbell Creek. The yield from the Hop fields was quite...

read more

Huxley Place

Huxley Place is named after William Huxley who built a home near the McArthur slough in BrockIehurst. He established a natural wildlife area on McArthur Island and for 12 years he worked for the Federal Department of Entomology on Mission Flats. He was also caretaker...

read more

Batchelor Drive

Batchelor Drive is named for Owen Salisbury Batchelor who came to Kamloops in 1886. He first worked as a baggageman for the Canadian Pacific Railway. He was an avid prospector and made a trip to the Klondike. After Batchelor's trip to the Klondike, he became the city...

read more

Other Stories

Tranquille Farm

This story extracted from INFOTel news story that is linked here. Full credit for this article goes to Jenna Wheeler of INFOTel News. KAMLOOPS - [July 22, 1983] the Tranquille psychiatric institution staff started a three-week sit in to protest the closure of the...

Bridges of Kamloops

Three successive bridges built over the Thompson River have each symbolized the history and development of the North Shore of Kamloops.  Each bridge was the outcome of considerable pressure on the governments of the time by the area residents to ensure both transportation and economic development.  Read more….