was named for Jean Baptiste Lolo. He was of Iroquois and French heritage. He came west with th HBC fur traders. He was a linguist and served as an interpreter. The HBC first Trading Post was on the reserve and relocated to North Kamloops. When they did Lolo took over the abandoned buildings and started his own store. He kept a herd of horses in the Scheidam Flats area. Mt. Lolo was named in his honour. Information obtained Kamloops Museum and Archives
Named for the family of William “Bill” Arthur Lyne and Kathleen Sybil Lyne and two daughters, Barbara and Kate who came from Lincolnshire, England and arrived in Canada in 1913 to join Bill’s younger brother Rowland who had come in 1912. They travelled by train, through snowslides and reached Kamloops where Bill worked for CN Railway as time-keeper for 2 years. For a short time, they lived on Leigh Road in North Kamloops but in 1916 Bill filed on a homestead close to Rowland at Brigade Lake, in the Knutsford area, but gave it up and went to Long Lake to work for rancher Joe Bennett at Abear’s sawmill. From 1917 to 1933 Bill rented and farmed the Bob Noble quarter. The girls took their schooling at Long Lake School. Barbara married Willie Jackson and stayed in the Long Lake district and Kate married Fred Bray who was working for Mr. Jackson and the couple eventually moved to Westsyde. Bill and Kathleen semi-retired on a small acreage in Westsyde until Bill’s death Feb 14, 1954 at age 76; rites by MacLeod Bros. Funeral Chapel. Kathleen then moved to town. Kathleen died in 1968. Both widowed, Barbara was a resident at Mt. Paul Hospital in Kamloops and Kate made her home in Westsyde. Bill and Kathleen are buried at Hillside Cemetery, Sec 5, Row 0008, Lot 0012, SubLot E & W.
Information obtained Kamloops Museum and Archives and Find a Grave
Ord Road used to be called Tranquille Rd and Tranquille Rd used to be called Brocklehurst Rd. After the English gentlemen Mr. Brocklehurst. When the first Airport was built The B.B. Minster of Highways wanted to improve the road to the Airport. They renamed it to Tranquille Highway and Ord Rd was named in its place.
Was named for the Puhallo family. They were longtime residents and a pioneer family of Brocklehurst and Westsyde. Probably Mike Puhallo is the most famous monker of the family in recent years. He is a well known truck driver, poet, artist and rancher. Mike worked at the Douglas Lake Cattle Company. He pent 20 years on the rodeo circuit. His cowboy poetry includes a number of books, mostly about Kamloops and surrounding areas. George Puhallo passed away in 1974.
Named after the Wilson Family. They arrived in North Kamloops in 1906. Mr Wilson operated a dairy farm and worked for the Arrow Lakes Lumber Company. He also built a number of buildings on the North Shore including a Community Hall on the corner of Yew Street and Tranquille Road which was later to become the home of the Mount Paul United Church. In 1918 the Wilson family moved to a farm in Coronation Alberta and it was there during Canada’s Diamond Jubilee year that his son W. Stewart Wilson and his gracious wife Winnifred were married in 1927.They had one daughter Iris Willson who later became Mrs. Doug Stewart. They moved back to Kamloops in 1929 and for a number of years operated a farm just east of the Range Experimental Station. It was in 1934 that Stewart Wilson opened a gas station on Tranquille Rd. He subdivided the land around the area and operated a garage and car dealership on Tranquille Road into the 1960s.
An active man he became involved serving as B.C. Auto Dealers Association as president and the Auto dealers of Canada as 1st Vice President. The North Kamloops Credit Union was formed and operated out of his garage in 1941 and he served as president. He was distinguished as one of the founders of North Kamloops. As president of the North Kamloops Ratepayers Association he worked with the Department of Municipal Affairs to incorporate the Village of North Kamloops. The year was 1946 and he was the first chairman of the Village Commission. Stewart was a charter member of the Kamloops North Rotary Club and also very active with the Mt. Paul United Church.
Source: Article by Norm MacDonald Kamloops News April 4,1974
Named for Dalton Wilfred Bentley who came to Kamloops in 1953 and was involved in ranching and land development. Dalton established The Bentley Place Development in Brocklehurst in 1959. He was born 20 March 1903 in Moorhead, Clay County, Minnesota and died in Kamloops 13 March 1985 at age 81. He and his wife are buried in Hillside Cemetery, Kamloops. At the time of his passing, family included wife Florence, daughter Irene and husband Michael Schneider, sons Robert and wife Elsie of Kamloops, and Ronald of Fernie; sisters Mrs. Jeanette Girling of Victoria and Mrs. Lula Nave of Eston, Saskatchewan.
This information obtained from Newspaper Index, Surnames at Kamloops Archives and Find A Grave
Found in North Kamloops is named for Angus MacDonald who was the B.C. Fruitlands secretary for 23 years. He came to Canada about 1911 from Scotland and worked in Winnipeg for James Richardson & Son, noted grain brokers, and in Kamloops and Vernon for the Hudson’s Bay Company before becoming secretary for B.C. Fruitlands Ltd. He served the community of Kamloops-Brocklehurst as secretary for the Fruitlands School Board for many years, a member of the Canadian Legion and also Mount St. Paul Lodge #109 AF & AM. He was a veteran of WWI and served with 172nd battalion C.E.F. He was known as “Wee Mac” and died in Royal Inland Hospital, aged 65 years, on 23 May 1946. He was buried 27 May 1946 in the Soldiers’ Plot, M-3-8, Pleasant Street Cemetery. Funeral rites by McPherson’s Funeral Chapel. He was survived by his father and a brother Alex MacDonald of Acknagall, Glengloss, Edanton, Scotland. In 1946 a neighbourhood resident proposed changing the name of Alexander Park to MacDonald Park to honour Angus MacDonald. The park remains, to this day, the centrepiece of a wonderful neighbourhood steeped in heritage and history. Information obtained from Kamloops Museum and Archives.
Was named in honour of those intrepid adventurers who crossed the continent in 1862. In 1862 the Overlanders, a group of gold seekers gathered in Fort Garry (Winnipeg) took off across Canada by Red River cart, horse and by foot included in the party were the Schuberts and William Fortune. The one brigade set off with 220 men and one women Catherine Schubert and her small children. The majority of them went down the Fraser River by raft. Thirty-six of them, including the Schuberts travelled down the North Thompson river and ended up in Kamloops.