Clapperton Road is named after the Clapperton family. George Alexander CIapperton, a Nicola rancher, moved to Kamloops in 1900 and North Kamloops in 1906. He lived on the site of the old Hudson Bay Company post in North Kamloops. Clapperton Road is at the site.

George’s son Ewart was born on April 22,1898 at Lower Nicola and was the youngest son of this pioneering family. He had 6 brothers and 2 sisters. He served overseas in both world wars and was a 50 year member of the Legion. He was a member of the Order of the Knights of Pythias and became their president in 1936. He was employed by the Canadian National Railway until his retirement.

James was another of George’s sons. He was very active in the North Kamloops Liberals during the late 1930’s. He followed his brother as president of the Order of the Knights of Pythias in 1940. He was also president of the Kamloops United Dairies in 1945. James died in 1952. He had been a resident of the area since 1905.

George’s brother, John, was born at Nicola in 1834. In 1862 he went to the Cariboo then returned to run the Spence’s toll bridge before returning to Nicola to ranch. In 1899 he was a Justice of the Peace and in 1900 was appointed Liquor Licence Commissioner. He resigned that post in 1903. He spent 35 years as a Government Agent. John died in 1913 at the age of 79.

Wallace CIapperton worked on the Circle J Ranch owned by Alex Bulman. He was a top hand in any part of a ranching spread and especially well known for his work breaking horses.